Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Jealous?

Jealous. Do you know what the word means? Did you know it does not mean "feeling resentment against someone because of that person's rivalry, success, or advantages"? 

That is envy. In our society the word jealousy had lost it's meaning. 

Jealous. Vigilance in maintaining or guarding something.

God is Jealous (Exodus  20:5). A good and holy jealousy.  God vigilantly guards. He is jealous for His name. 
For His people.
For His glory.
For His ways.
For the marginalized.

Marginalized? Those who are on the margins. The poor. The widows. The orphans. Those who in the eyes of this world don't fit in. Socially akward. Ostracized. Judged. Disabled. HIV positive. Does this mean He loves them more? No. But those on the margin need someone to fight for them. God wants to poor out his grace on those the world sees as inadequate. 
 
"God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." 1 Corinthians 1:27

My pastor made this statement last week:

" I think every single one of us wants someone to be jealous for us. Someone who sees us when no one else sees us. Someone who fights for us when no one else fights for us. We have a God that is jealous for us!"
 
After hearing the rest of this sermon I was in tears. Broken . Realizing that I needed to be jealous for my daughter. Adopting her wasn't enough. I needed to be jealous for her.  I was just like her. I was on the margins. I was lost in sin. Despicable. Filthy. And God fought for me and loved me with a unconditional love. I needed  to love my Ava that way. 

Fight for her. 
Be jealous for HER. 

Not to be upset about the things that she struggles with. Not to be discouraged when it takes her longer to learn something. No. 

Jealous.
For her.
The way she is.
Accept her. Unconditionally. Like God did for me.

My pastor prayed this prayer that Sunday. " Fill us a new. Where we would know and extend the love of Christ in a more powerful way than we have every experienced before. May we be jealous for people  and fight for people who need to be fought for because we have a King who fights every moment for us."

From the words of the David Crowder Band

"He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy."

 Is our love for the marginalized like a hurricane?

 Doesn't every orphan want to be able to sing "He is jealous for me"? Wouldn't they like to sing it about their Heavenly Father and their earthly parents?

Oh that these children will somehow know the love of God and the love of a father and mother. How?

By the church seeing these children and being jealous for them. Fighting for them. Standing up for them. Adopting them. Loving them. No matter what. No matter what the cost. 





2 comments:

  1. Yes, Breanne, yes! Your vision is so clear. It's really our mission to be jealous for these children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breanne, I was super touched by this post. Thank you so much for sharing! Much love.

    ReplyDelete